Supported cameras for RAW editing
Photo Ninja supports most popular digital cameras with RAW formats based on a conventional Bayer RGB or Fujifilm X-Trans color filter arrays. Some exceptions are listed below. If in doubt, try it and see if it works.
The following cameras are believed to be supported in Photo Ninja, though not all have been verified. Even if your camera is not on this list, it might still be supported; try it and see. If your camera does not appear to be supported, send us a sample raw file.
- Canon 1D Mark I/II/III/IV, 1Ds Mark I/II/III, 1D X, 5D Mark I/II/III,
6D, 7D, 7DMkII, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, 70D, 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 1000D, 1100D,
D2000, D30, D60, D6000,
most PowerShot G/S/A models.
[Note: sRAW/mRAW mode for Canon SLRs not yet supported.]
- Nikon D1, D1H, D100, D2H, D2X, D200, D3, D3S, D3X, D300, D3000, D3100, D3200, D4, D40, D40X, D50, D5000, D5100, D5500, D60, D600, D610, D70, D700, D750, D7000, D7100, D80, D800/D800E, D810, D90, Df, 1 J3, 1 J1, 1 V1, Coolpix P7000/P7100/P7700
- Fujifilm X-E2, X-E1, X-Pro1, X100T, X100S, X-M1, XQ1, X30, X20, X-A1, FinePix X100, X-S1, X-T1. [Note: Highlight recovery for X-Trans models is available in the 1.2.3 pre-release.]
- Konica Minolta Dynax 7D, probably other DiMAGE and Dynax models
- Leica M9, M Monochrom, D-LUX 5, S2, probably other models
- Olympus E-M5, E-M5ii, E-M1, E-500, probably other E-, C-, and SP- models.
- Panasonic GH4, DMC-LF1, DMC-GX7, DMC-FZ35, DMC-GH2, DMC-G3, DMC-GX1, DMC-GF5, probably other DMC models.
- Pentax 645Z, K-3, K-01, probably other K- and *ist models.
- Samsung Samsung NX1, NX200, NX100, NX500, probably other NX models
- Sony A77ii, A7, A7r, A7ii, A6000, RX1, RX1r, DSC-RX100, NEX-7, probably other DSC, DSLR, NEX, and SLT models.
DNG RAW files
Most DNG RAW files based on the conventional Bayer sensor layout are supported. (If you encounter a variant that won't open, send us a sample.) Phase One DNGs will open but may have visible seams. Non-RAW DNG files (which have already been demosaiced) are not currently supported.
Unsupported or partially supported cameras
- Foveon cameras. Unsupported sensor and raw format.
- FujiFilm Super-CCD models (e.g. S2Pro, S3Pro). Images decompress and color is sane, but images are rotated 45 degrees and extra sensor sites are not utilized.
- Phase One cameras. Images decompress and color is sane, but there are dark "seams" between sections of an image.
- sRAW and mRAW modes (reduced-resolution raw) for Canon SLRs is not currently supported. (We recommend full-resolution RAW anyway for best quality and flexibility. sRAW and mRAW have limitations beyond resolution.)
- Cameras with CMYK color filter array patterns. This mostly includes a few older point-and-shoot models.
If Photo Ninja can open a RAW file but the editor shows "No Profile" for the camera profile, then it does not have a color matrix for the camera and the colors will look wrong. In this case, if you can send us a flash or daylight exposure of a standard Color Checker (classic, Passport, or SG) chart, we should be able to create a basic color matrix for the camera. Or you can can create one yourself using the profiling tools in Photo Ninja.
The as-shot white balance for most cameras is buried in proprietary makernote data. Photo Ninja can usually parse this, and it will appear in the "WB Levels" item in the "Exif Aux" section of the metadata viewer. If not, then it will attempt to match the white balance of the JPEG preview image embedded in the raw file.